Tuesday 26 May 2020

Mr Dominic Cummings is behaving without honour and a sense of public duty






In 1944, aged 5, as had millions of other children  in 1939 and 1940, I was evacuated to a place of safety, separately  from my single parent mother, a school teacher, who continued to do her duty like millions of others, despite living in an area where there had been 5000 civilian casualties because of our location close to Croydon, Kenley and Biggin Hill aerodromes and where over 140 V1 and V2 rockets exploded. One of my earliest memories is being carried from the house  to the Anderson shelter at the back, in daylight, first hearing a V1 rocket pass directly overhead and then see it begin to doodlebug down as the engine cut out  and we entered the shelter and heard it explode nearby.



We lived a short walk from one end of Croydon airport which had become the headquarters of the military Transport Command while Kenley and Biggin Hill were Fighter command aerodromes.



One morning an ambulance arrived to take one of my aunts, who had become deaf, dumb, blind, and bedridden from childhood meningitis  to stay with another aunt whose husband’s regiment,  was based at Catterick camp in North Yorkshire. On impulse the three aunts with whom I lived decided I should go in the ambulance, my first journey, and I was terrified. My memory of the journey is that it took a long time, there were two drivers and we stopped midway for the toilet and food that was brought with us.  The aunt lived in a small group of houses  built for officers close to a village and I have one memory  of  running  with one of my younger first cousins  thorough a cornfield that summer on our way to a mass at the Catholic church.



My other memory was when I first found out which of the aunts was my mother when it was decided that I needed to have my first haircut. The aunties of which there were seven in total, with four brothers were born in Gibraltar and spoke Llanito a mixture of Spanish with English words and phrases and words from other Mediterranean lands. Their father had been a civilian employee  foreman in Ordinance at the Naval dockyard, and an accountant for the army at the South Barracks.  His father has been a British soldier who had married a Spanish born girl when stationed in Gibraltar and had returned there to live  after discharge on health grounds and becoming a Royal Hospital Chelsea Pensioner, Outpayments.



In 1944, two of my aunts travelled to Catterick separately train  some days later. One the aunts I thought was my mother as she used to bathe me in tin bath used for clothing washing, as we lived in a house without a bathroom or an inside toilet. The other aunt, the eldest, had become a single a parent with two sons in the army. I remember  when she received the telegram to say one son had died in prisoner of war camp in Borneo after the war in Europe ended, and I remember seeing her other son when he returned in his demob suit from prisoner of war camps in North Africa, Italy and central Europe.



The third aunt was a school teacher and she travelled later when the school term ended. It was during our stay that I worked out from what was being said they the third aunt was my birth mother when the others told her to take me for a haircut, and I presume because no one would recognise her  when  she.  Until 1990 I always assumed  the reason why I was kept as a secret child was because at that time female teachers were still expected to be unmarried and a teacher with an illegitimate child was regarded as unacceptable. It was only in 1990 that before my birth mother’s memory deteriorated further that I pressed her to disclose who my father had been, and she disclosed my  father had been a catholic priest and not until 2018 did I find  compelling evidence that he had become the vicar general of Gibraltar  awarded the Order of the British Empire by Queen Elizabeth.



Of course, the Queen’s parents, as did millions of other parents throughout Britain, put  the welfare of their children first  and only mother’s with pre-school children were evacuated with them, and the Queen and her sister were separated from their  parents at Windsor  while the King and Queen experienced the Blitz and were able to look the Eastend of London in the eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment