Friday 29 October 2010

1518 I love the Oxford of Brideshead

It is Monday of a new week and Brideshead Revisited is still with me. I dallied with this and that for a while and then decided how my day ahead should unfold. I took half an hour to work out how to show the video tapes of Brideshead on the digital TV and this required changing the connections. One consequence of the change is that Sky now comes on the first channel; and the video on the second whereas previously terrestrial and Freeview TV came were on channel one, the DVD player on two, sky on three and PC channel 4 or five. I hope to remember to get things back as they were if need me. Later I found that I can watch both DVD's and Video tapes on channel two, so the need for Freeview and the rapidly disappearing terrestrial channels will only occur if Sky fails however temporarily. Thus the change has led to a tiny improvement. The issue and impact of the change to digital TV came to the fore during Question Time in the House of Commons , on the first afternoon of the reassembled Parliament when it appears in the next area to do the switching some residents will not have any TV at all because of the lack of Freeview coverage. Such a development is unacceptable as it will force everyone to take Satellite or cable/internet TV. It is something that the government is aware of but one hopes that concern will be translated into appropriate action.

Once I was able to play back the video I discovered the recording was now poor and I wondered if the mechanism for converting to DVD would change this. Later I decided on an amazingly inexpensive DVD set from Amazon and was tempted to a DVD series of programme about Venice, but resisted. Although I am now hesitant about increasing my libraries the possession of a viewable edition of what is regarded as the greatest dramatic work series made by the British TV industry is important, especially as I wish to go through both the book and TV series as my next day to day activity.

My next action was to get the book, a paper back edition now yellowing and with pages that became loose as I read. I was driven to reading the book as well as watching the video in part from irritation and disappointment at the review by Dr Mark Kermode during the Simon Mayo Friday afternoon programme and a separate BBC review. There was little understanding of the film or appreciation of the importance of the TV series about which I was not alone in my opinion. Mark is usually so spot on and I was surprised at his dismissive manner, and his failure to have read the book or seen the TV adaptation, but I was also reminded of the comment of one the academic friends of Charles Ryder "To understand all is to forgive all;" something I came to regard as more of a curse than a virtue especially as I am unable to apply such forgiveness to myself.
I quickly established the evidence for commenting that the recent film has significant lowered the social class of Ryder's father, as in the book it is mentioned that he had met the Warden (usually deals with the financial affairs of the individual college) at the Athenaeum where membership has been restricted to those of a certain status and social class which continues to this day. The Warden had advised that Charles should be given an allowance of £100 a term which was a fortune in 1920. I earned less in my first year at work three and half decades later. When Sebastian throws up into Charles' rooms in college he leaves 5 shillings for the Scout, the college servant, who looks after the rooms of a group of students, and he mentioned filling the book shelves with French writings in Russian leather and watered silk, all indications of man from the upper middle class which was subsequently confirmed by his being at ease in the company of the Aristocracy and with their homes. At one level the book is about the aspiration of a man from the upper middle class who wants to be part of British Aristocracy, and given that during the work he becomes a fashionable painter, one could expect that the would become a Royal Academician and gain a peerage, despite his apparent bisexual nature and involvement with a brother and his sister and this having tragic consequences.

The film failed to show that when Ryder first goes to college he is a diligent and serious student, attending lectures " in those days I still went to lectures" and discussing subjects with friends something which was rare even in my day. The not going to specified lectures was something I also chose but for very different reasons, He abandoned serious study following the dictum of his family mentor, that it was important to get a first or a fourth, the latter signalling that one had spent the entire time as an undergraduate playing sport, making a name for oneself at the Union or perhaps engaged in dramatic theatricals, only eating the required dinners in college, attending tutorials, and managing to pass the first public examination. The award of a fourth was indication that one had been to the university for three years without being sent down but without doing much study. In my case it was because I found keeping up with the work a great challenge, having changed courses from politics and economics to public and social administration, a post graduate course for those already with firsts or good second class honours degrees and where my tutorial partner in criminology had an accomplished first, and my tutor in psychology bombarded me with philosophical and behavioural sciences in an effort to get me to abandon social work and take an Oxford degree course in Philosophy and Psychology via the Ruskin back door which meant one avoided the first public examination and the Latin, and was then given three years to take the second, whereas everyone else did so in two.

There was another parallel academic experience although again for difference reasons. He spent a week working night and day towards the end of term cramming texts in order to pass the first public examination. I was required to sit an examination at the end of each term and would also work day and night over two weeks before the examination trying to go over everything that I had worked previously. My memory was awful although I had done the work and needed reminded triggers to remember what I had read, thought and written in the context of having been required to take my penultimate year at preparatory school twice, and then failing the eleven plus, such had been my sense of terror and nervousness at the prospects of failure.

One connection not previously recognised from the books is that when a relative calls to give advice he is treated to a tea which included anchovy toast. Last year I acquire two massive tins of crackers for an amazing sum of £5, this year one tin cost just under £7, and which are now approaching their end. I will switch to toast after removing the crust from the bread.

Things that one may or not remember. Charles first encounters Sebastian as he leaves the city centre barbers and I have this memory of being in such a barbers, I only bought my copy of the book after I left Ruskin but did I do so before leaving Oxford, although I remember hearing references to Brideshead and all that from one friend and other contacts in the university, rather than from fellow students at Ruskin, and of course the TV series was not made until the 1980's. yet I have a recollection of going to the Barbers. Is this false memory? There was one fashionable couple at the university at that time, active politically and where the male distinguished himself by gain a fourth.

I also missed the information about the high profile recitation of Anthony, the choice of surname conveying everyone, Blanche, the Argentinean member of the set who is full of affectations and a self proclaimed homosexual with an extraordinary background of relationships with the famous, information which is in the book but not in the TV series or film. The recitation is from Catholic writer and poet T S Elliot's ,The Waste Land.

It is over half an hour since I wrote the last sentence having undertaken a search for what I believed was a yellow dust covered edition of the extended poem but in vain, finding the Cocktail Party and the Family Reunion, his plays and the Four Quartets and then after I had bathed of sorts and shaved I turned to my three volume Oxford Library of English poetry and the whole of the Waste Land was is included. Another instance of false memory. It was the first major indication that this is work primarily about Catholicism and catholic guilt, although I admit the relative had also warned about not getting involved with any of the religious sects, which Catholicism was regarded

I have often considered that being English is about wearing dinner suits with black bow ties. I have done so myself only a handful of instances. Once to dine at the House of Lords and once the suit was ordered with photograph taken for the first conference dinner of the Association of Directors of Social Services but then the decision was made by the hierarchy not to wear them under pressure from Labour Councillors, and at least one other instance, not immediately remembered. Everyone in the middle classes and upwards dressed for the evening dinner meal and it was only after World war two that the practice was limited to a much smaller section of society.
However I did wear a white bow tie, dark suit and gown for the seven three hours papers sat at the Oxford University Examination schools which led to the award of the Diploma in Public and Social Administration and there is a photograph with other Ruskin students looking pleased at having travelled such a long way from the ship yard and the pit. I was reminded of this from the novel as after completing his own end of first year public examination, so called not because the results are posted and published, but they can be entered by the likes of me who was not a member of a recognised Oxford University College, and visited by his cousin wearing "subfusc." I also laughed at the reference to the peace and quiet of the wide roads throughout the colleges, given that the whole of the city become a restricted parking area such is the congestion and overcrowding of the city centre car parks.

It was the reference that Charles' mother had lived apart from his mother and died while serving with the Red Cross during the first world war that struck the greatest chord with me as it was evident that eh and Sebastian were effectively fatherless children without loving and caring mothers in the normal use of these words. Charles was only technically brought up by his father, a distant man, preoccupied by his personal interests, and with the help of an aunt who looked in from time to time. My own experience has similarities, a distant mother and mothering provided by an aunt although with respect of the latter far from being occasional it tended to be overwhelming. It is also of interest that the parents of Sebastian lived apart and that in any event in keeping with the lifestyle of their class he was effectively brought up by a Nanny with his mother also appeared distant and censorious.(Later I completed the viewing and reading until the end of the first year and Charles returns to London with only a few shillings and having spent his allowance and no cheque cashing right until his father provided more funds for the start of the second year in the Autumn. There were no new matters of interest to write about).

I broke off from viewing and reading to watch the reassembled House of Commons in time for Culture, and Sports Questions before Prime Ministers statement about the Financial and economic situation. This was a good decision for two reasons. The Member of Parliament for Jarrow, someone who I worked closely with when he was a leading local councillor asked about the application for the former Monastic sites and present churches of St Bede and St Paul at Sunderland and at Jarrow to be recognised as World Heritage sites. The Minister agreed to a meet in order to hear representations about the matter.

The second issue of special interest was the concern of several Members on all sides of the House about the ownership of football clubs and the need to ensure that owners, irrespective of their country of origin, met recognised standards as Fit and Proper Persons. While there was no specific reference to Newcastle it was evident that this situation as well as the take over of Man City was very much in mind. The government response was to argue that it was a matter to be addressed by the British Football authorities.

I felt very sorry for Tessa Jowell, who if my memory is accurate was one of the Labour members now in the Cabinet who was sitting at the front of the Fringe meeting at the Party conference years ago when I spoke to the mental health interest meeting along with Barbara Castle on one side and David Owen on the other, and started to lecture about the lack of any motions or references to child care in the conference agenda papers and resolutions. Minister Jowell had to answer questions as the Olympic Games Minister as the House assembled to hear the Chancellor's statement in the presence of the Prime Minister and other Party Leaders. There has been chaos across Europe over the weekend such has been the impact of the delay in the USA reaching its decision with all share dealing suspended in Iceland. Iceland with a population of 300000 has banks which have given operating loans to such British High Street firms as House of Frazer and Oasis. It is perhaps not generally understood the extent to which most businesses use cash borrowed from the banks to meet their every expenses such as fuel costs and staff wages while they await for payment for goods and services supplied. Later in the evening my forecast that the USA election would become dirty was proven a good one as the Republicans realises that they needed to move the agenda away from the economy and turning on the character of Obama. Such tactics at this time is irresponsible and one hopes the American public will respond accordingly.
I had a good stir fry at lunch and then soup and pasta in the evening with black grapes and coffee, The grapes were obtained from the supermarket with bananas and apple pies. I remembered the roasting potatoes the tea bags, and such like, treating myself to one carton of prawns with shell and two small tins of anchovies which are not a better value buy than the prawns and found four giant cartons of fruit juice on a special off at £1.75 for 1.75 Litres. The following morning I realised I had not bought shaving foam.

In the evening I watch a DVD which was presented as a serious film about an Italian adolescent girl facing the challenges of growing up in a sexually aware and internet active generation. The film started Geraldine Chaplin as a dying grandmother packed off to nursing home. Her involvement was excellent and the part of the film which concentrated on the relationships between mother daughter and grandmother was excellent. The grand parent fulfilling the role of Nanny, is often the difference between a teenager making it through adolescence without making irrecoverable mistakes and in this instance disasters happened because granny was placed in the residential home and could not respond to the warning signs exhibited by the daughter and missed by her mother finding the absence of her husband working away difficult to beat, However the film was vivid in depicting how quickly a young person can change and endanger their lives and futures if great care is not taken over what they do without parental presence unlike the treatment of the young girl in London to Brighton viewed at the weekend, The film is said to have been based on the autobiographical story of an Italian young woman who became something of a notorious celebrity.

Earlier in the week I inaccurately described a new computer game Ink Paul suggesting that one could gain between 1000 and 3000 points a time while attempting to amass a high score. The following is an indication of how I reached 62500. Plays 1-6 : 481,1351,2031,2905,3581,5175; Plays 21-25: 18206,18961, 19602, 20299, 21899; plays 40-45: 3534574, 35219, 35950,36849, 38449 ; plays 81-84: 60725, 61443, 62427,62623.

A new friend advised that his browsers had crashed on attempt to load my site and the second time I had been noticed of this problem so I attempt to view my site as others and found that the same happened to me although I was able to do sp by clicking on myself as listed on the site of a friend. This revealed that many of the MySpace music videos are now shown as errors so these were painstakingly removed leaving those still functioning. I was able to load myself directly by the time I staggered to bed in the early hours and will see what the position is later in the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment