Tuesday 8 June 2010

1435 The Jane Austin Book Club film and Japan's, Let's Live,New glasses and problems with the TV

What a day. It commenced late deciding to sort out the TV remote control for the widescreen multi function TV channel 1 Terrestrial and Freeview Digital, channel 2 DVD Player, channel 3 Sky and Video, channel 7 PC link. Although I can use the handset on Terrestrial TV channel 1, I have to use manual controls for other functions although the handset will alter sound. I have spent days trying to find the paperwork, the original receipt and the 3 year insurance certificate which came with the set purchased from Argos. Today is the 15th of July and the insurance comes into effect tomorrow so technically according to the provided information I had to contact Hitachi as the set was still under warranty. The Customer Service telephone number was easy to find and I got through to someone immediately suggesting they did not experience a great volume of calls.

I explained that the handset was only operating on the first channel after I had changed batteries and a notice to change them had appeared on screen. As I was watching Sky I assumed this was for Sky handset and changed batteries. Then the Hitachi handset ceased to function so I change batteries and still the problem persisted. I was advised to remove batteries, hold any key down for 30 seconds, replace batteries and hopefully it would work. If it did not then the problem was the infra red unit within the TV and require a repair visit.

I was given a second telephone number to contact in this event which suggested it was a problem which others had experienced. When I mentioned to this number that the TV was bought through Argos I was told that Argos had bought out the Hitachi warranty and therefore I needed to contact Argos, so I contacted the number given on the free three year warranty extension insurance certificate who advised they only not dealt with breakages as Argos did the repairs themselves direct.

I therefore contacted Argos customer services, the number provided and was referred to the Argos repair telephone number who took the information and telephoned back within 15mins to say someone would call the following midday. Thus the morning had passed by.

The next task was to arrange for new glasses. I decided to return to the Sunderland branch of Specsavers who had provided the present pair after I had dropped the old ones and one lens had been smashed, during the time when I was still living at Seaburn, (there is also a branch in South Shields). Specsavers is a well organiser professional and commercial enterprise. At reception I discovered it has been four years since the previous test and although I had experienced no sight problems and the fall was my own fault I decided on a retest which could be rearranged with a wait of only 15mins. I suspect I was given the red carpet treatment because I go for the most expensive lens which are glass and slim at least half the previous thickness in frames which are also strong and light weight.

The eye test is very different from that in the surgery of the family doctor and the local optician of my youth and who continued to practice for many years and where my mother and aunt used to continue to visit the firm into their late eighties. I had taken my care mother to Specsavers to have vary focals fitted to the frame of her good eye with a plain glass lens in the sightless damaged eye and which helped her a great deal in the three years before her admission to hospital and the premature and preventable death. Today an assistant takes some images with an eye scanner as well as testing the existing glasses so that the optician has the original test information plus the latest information upon which to check the condition of the eyes, involving blowing puffs of air into the eyes before checking for different types and strengths of lens. The process reduces errors and enables a constant flow of customers without having to book and appointment.
The test again revealed a slight improvement in short sight which is interesting given the direction which everything else of the body is progressing. Then the consideration was the frame and quality of lens which go together, vanity vanitas, or something similar. I go for the thinnest vary focal lens but the glass is still thick best disguised within a full frame than a half frame which I also like to be lightweight. I have gold titanium frame at present which I like but all the latest frames are more oblong than rounded and eventually I settled for a black coloured frame which would take the required lens and which in turn would take three weeks to complete the order.

The next issue was the pricing approach where the choice was between a 30% reduction single pair or a 2 for 1 offer but where the second pair has standard lens. I only found this second pair recently and the glass is heavy and exposes the shortness of my sight. I still use my prescription sun glasses as a reserve pair and because they are a stronger prescription are ideal for watching the cricket or other sports where there is sun, as well as driving.

I had not eaten lunch, deciding first to travel to Sunderland by bus and although feeling like some food I decided to wait return home as I had defrosted prawns for a salad the night before and had also defrosted some Southern fried coasted chicken pieces for a main meal. It continued to be warm and sunny and having my camera with me, I commenced to photo Sunderland city centre of today remembering what it had been like when first arrived in 1974. I covered the area between the shopping centre, the university and the bus interchange centre. There are pubs and clubs, bars and bistros and restaurants of several European cuisines but also some new, some looking closed. I also discovered a Gentleman's club tucked away next to a new Weatherspoons built into one side the city centre Travel Lodge. More about Sunderland's city centre when I make a second visit and perhaps third and fourth visit to cover what needs to be covered, taking account that I have already photographed Seaburn and old Sunderland Riverside.

On return around 4pm I had the salad and the two remaining Danish pastries. Later a glass of wine although I had to decant as the cork went back into the bottle. Later still I had three chicken pieces and the remaining strawberries, followed by still water, created Artman signature card and did some set making and watch not one but two new films after watching the Jane Austin Book club DVD last night.

This is a curious film where a knowledge of the novels will add to the enjoyment but is not essential. The story is of five diverse women who come together to discuss the six novels once a month with each leading a discussion. The sixth, is man brought in to comfort the wife deserted by her husband after twenty years of marriage. The core of the film is to show how individuals, (including a French teacher at High school who has never been to France) react to literary art or all art work for that matter, according to their own personalities and experience. Thus the jilted wife concentrates on the aspects of characters who are loyal and face up to their responsibilities. She has a good ending because her husband sees the light. I was not quite sure about the authenticity of their lesbian daughter, but she served to underline the belief of those who look in the novels for great meaning about the role of women in society, their relationships with men and with each other. This theme of the past and present roles of women in society is covered by one character who has been married six times and continues to have the time of her life, again a fictional creation because life is never like that, Then there is the character played by the delicious Emily Blunt whose normal male in business husband has to give up a trip to Paris with his wife because his boss requires him to go elsewhere but in the USA. He is portrayed as think and uncaring. This is the excuse for the Emily to start an affair. A friend of the six times married women is a dog breeder grieving over the loss of her special canine companion and it is she that brings in the male as the sixth member of the club. She has never married because she needs to have absolute control over every aspect of her life but is attracted to the man she brings into the club to befriend the grieving jilted wife. He is again a creation without authenticity single handsome., wealthy and clever and the ideal modern woman's concept what she wants all men to be like except the man she wants to control her natural emotional and manipulative instincts. I thought the characters were rubbish and the story a fictional contrivance to show off a knowledge of the works of Jane Austin

The best way to read any book of fiction, in my experience, is to submerge yourself in the experiences described by the author, no different from any play or film or work of visual art. Do you enjoy, are you stretched and challenged? It is only on the second experience that you should, if you wish. take the work apart and try and establish what the creator intended and perhaps why, and if the creator was successful in their intention. Most people do not have the time or inclination to do this. I thought this was silly film about people who were primarily self centred and self satisfied seeking only their own pleasure and well being with little regard for the world at a large. However they were all much more worthwhile than the sub human single dimensional creatures who inhabited perhaps the worst film experience of the year called the Summer of Sam. In 1997 a single man living alone at Yonkers went on the rampage killing young people at random who were mostly in their cars and or walking alone at night in the white Italian area of Brooklyn although there is one killing within the black district.. He was eventually caught after the efforts of 100 strong task force failed as is the resources of the local crime boss which appears to be an acceptable part of every American city along with crime related unions.

New York is shown as populated by primitive and uneducated drug taking and fornicating yobs and I could not resist the passing thought that Son of Sam as he became dubbed in the media would have been awarded a community service medal if he had been more discriminate in his executions. He is serving six consecutive sentences of 25 years to life The film is a pathetic attempt to commercially exploit the disco club mania which swept western civilizations promoted by Joan Collins films and John Travolta with the gore genre designed almost exclusively for young men who want to frighten their girl friend's a little before trying out their seduction techniques. The genre opened up our cities to the development of clubs and bars for young people, and the very politicians and civil leaders who allowed the development have now the gall to complain about the consequences. The trouble is that it is the sons and daughters of everyone else who understandably become curious and get harmed through the misuse of drugs and alcohol and to the misuse by men.

I only half watched this film as I came too having slept through the ending of a fascinating Japanese film called Let's Live or let's Stay alive, or similar. The film is about a young woman who mistakenly joins a coach tour planed by a group of men who all wants to end their lives and because they want their deaths to appear an accident rather than a suicide the organiser insists that the girl must join them. The tour provides an insight into the reasons why each man wants to die and something of contemporary Japanese culture. Just as the finale was reached I went to sleep and will have to watch again to find the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment