Tuesday 23 June 2009

1744 The Isle of Wight journey and accommodation

Writing about my trip to the Isle of Wight out of sequence is proving a challenge because there are so many other things I need to do during this early part of new week so I have decided to abandon catch up and go with the flow.

In my childhood my birth mother had arranged two summer holidays of two weeks on the Isle of Wight. The first has been disappointing because of the location, a caravan on a farm between Bembridge Village and the Bembridge Ledge, a ledge of rock with remains of Wartime and none of the what was expected of a seaside resort.. In order to get to the seaside proper it was necessary to walk tot he village centre and then take a bus to Sandown in time for a picnic lunch on the beach, a rest, a bathe and before we knew it was time to get the bus back for the evening meal to be prepared. I believe we did go on an explore to Shanklin and may be Ventnor but not much further and this was the reason why the very next holiday was back to the Island to a guest house in Sandown which enabled us to take one or more trips to other parts of the Island and to attend the Saturday night fireworks which I believe were held at Shanklin. These visits took place at rte end of the 1940’s and perhaps in 1950 or 1951. Some thirty to forty years passed before my next trip, by train and passenger ferry from East Croydon Station but where the afternoon was spent at Ryde having walked the long pier. My only other visit was last year on the free day after the 20 20 cup semi finals and final all finished on the Saturday. I had caught an early train from a station near the Travel lodge outside of Portsmouth close to the A3 and M27 and then a bus across the island to Sandown, and then another bus to Shanklin returning from there in the evening. The weather was good and the day full of nostalgia and I promised myself a longer visit. My priority this year when the £9 Travel Lodge special offers were announced had been visits to cricket and London but realising I had nothing planned for June and checking cricket and other commitment I had fitted in three days combined with my aborted visit to Oxford City and partial visit to the Naval Dockyard exhibitions.

However three days would be insufficient to properly explore the island. There were two factors which also altered the nature of the visit. The going into hospital on he island of the friend of a relative and presence of a second relative on the island during my period there. It has not been my practice to refer to living relatives and personal friends in these writings but it was agreed with them to mention something of circumstances in which my car keys were lost and found and the impact this had on the rest of the visit. To some extent I my ongoing work is being governed by the approach of Sophie Calle in the continually repetition of what has gone before but changed by the different perspective caused by the passing of time, but is time only linear an d not multi dimensional, layered and circular? Just as we are in fact clones of past beings so too is much of our experience although set in different environments?

On Tuesday June 16th I awoke early having been to bed and sleep well before midnight. I knew where I was which is not always the situation when travelling. It was sunny and warm and there was time to relax, had a coffee and did some writing before packing and taking the luggage to the car. I was scheduled on the Wightlink 11.30 ferry, and on reflection I should have been more confident tried for an earlier although I had gone for the 11 and for some reason it was not available.

From the visit to the Gunwharf the previous afternoon i had seen the car ferry birth and therefore knew where it was. However to reach the port the one way system first took towards the entrance of the naval docks and then back across Portsmouth towards Southsea. I arrived just before the ten thirty sailing and thinking I had plenty of time went to look at ticket office reception after being checked close to the entrance gate and sent to join several vehicles in a lane next to some parked goods vehicles. Fortunately on leaving the ticket office I notice that the front vehicles in my lane were being put on board the ferry and I rushed back but only the first three maybe four were let through and I was left behind a couple of other vehicles. When the next sailing arrived and unloaded I believed I would shortly be away. Alas the ferry sailed off without taking any vehicles. Later we were told there had been bunkering problems the previous evening. The 11.30 sailing was also delayed because of the arrival of an aircraft . I have not seen such a vessel pass by before as the one already in harbour is in dry dock only visible at some distance and partly hidden by the scaffolding for the refit.

Being at the front meant we were asked to climb a steep ramp to the first floor of the parking to one side of the ferry and told to remain until the cars at the rear were raised to the level of those at the front and we were locked into position and told to sit put until all the vehicles were loaded and we were then free to move to the lounges and outside decks. I opted for the top deck but retreated to second when the top became full of smokers. When will these people learn what a horrible disease lung cancer is?

It was pleasant crossing and I concluded the price which residents pay and the concession price I was able to pay was, all things considered, reasonable. On the return journey I read an article in the local paper where it looked that the charges would not be referred to the Monopolies/Competition Commission.

A feature of the Island is the attempt to retain its essential charm to attract visitors to sustain the economy without overwhelming residents. This seems a sensible approach together with that of organising special events throughout the year to achieve a balanced economy. If you are with people you know you tend to obtain a different perspective of a place and direct contact with local people can be more limited.

I have already commented that the Fishbourne Inn has a warm atmosphere but the food offered was a great disappointment, given its price. Subsequent meals eaten out were a considerable improvement.

My accommodation for three nights was at the Travel Lodge located close to the Lugely Street Car Park in the County town of Newport. With so many seaside towns, harbours creeks and inlets. chines, rocky promontories, waterways and water spots and viewpoints and human attractions and activities to visit, the County Town of Newport could be overlooked during a short stay. This not such as bad thing because in essence it remains a county town for local residents and is not over run with tourists so that it retains its identity. It has an excellent concentrated shopping centre with a giant of a Marks and Spencer’s and a Morrison’s with separate car parking. Together with the well thought out one way system, which it is worth take time to learn, there is an excellent range of car parks and a sensible pricing system which provides for residents and visitors in and out of season. I shall write and find out if it is possible to purchase car parking permits in advance. There is the full range of stores, shops, banks and other services within a short walking of the central area.

There is also a large car park near the Cineworld multiplex which has a covered Bridge walkway into the main level of the complex. The staff at the Pizza restaurant need a kick up their backsides, or the management needs to get their act together. I was delighted to see so many young people enjoying a night at the cinema midweek, queuing in an orderly fashion and wondered about the atmosphere in the Chicago Rock cafe bar just before closure at 3am on weekends while their two meals for £8 whatever it was should attract families and oldies visiting before 7pm. I was struck that although the island is for those who love the sea and outdoors, there is provision for all levels of cultural interests from the rock and pop festival the previous weekend to jazz and opera and all other forms of music, play and dance.

My double bedroom at the Lodge was on the top floor and had an attic feel because of a slanting roof over the window which did mean one had to take care not to bang a head but overall it was spacious and light although I would have preferred some drawer space but I thought the desk unit was unusual and well designed. I stopped at four Lodges during this trip, Oxford, Portsmouth, Newport and Nottingham Trowell Service area and each room is different, some with shower only some with a bath and shower unit combined. One at Oxford and nowhere to put shaving, teeth, washing and other materials while two had excellent wide and long surfaces around the basin. Television is also a variable with some having flat screen digital TV showing all five Terrestrial stations, channel four films Film Four, Ceebies and 24 hour news as well as the four radio stations including Talk Sport. It is not uncommon to only be able to experience four of the five Terrestrial stations at some lodges on the traditional box sets. Outside of London Lodges showing pay to view films are rare.

The number of wall sockets is also variable as I like three in addition to one for the kettle and one for the TV, I have Lap top, phone and camera charger. One of the reasons I must return soon to the island for a longer stay is that I was unable to take the camera because the charge unit needs to be replaced. All the lodges appear to be Wifi linked and the cost is expensive unless one is away for the week when £20 is reasonable. The advantage of the Innkeepers is that the service is free. I had great difficult using the internet on the Island Lodge which may be an Island problem.

However at £9 or £19 a night I am not one to complain!

No comments:

Post a Comment