Tuesday 23 November 2010

1596 Boxing Day 2008

If for me Christmas had become a time for reflection on times past, of good food and serious film. It is also a time for enjoyment and fun.

My choice for Christmas Day included Top of the Pops Christmas special missing he opening Boy’s group but in time for Duffy. She who has accentuated her mouth with bright red lipstick which makes her look tartish. She sings Mercy - I love you But I gotta stay true... beggin you for mercy. I like the tune.

I also like Sam Sparrow who appears to be a one number man called Black and Gold- If they fish swam out of the ocean ... stars fell out of the sky ...cos if you are not really here I don’t wanna be either. Good

Girl’s Aloud with Cheryl sing Make me love you. The promise I made started to fade. Cheryl has been getting a lotta love from the media recently and is looking thin.

There is a short medley of snippets which include the Ting Tings That not my name and Rihanna Take a Bow.

The Kaiser Chiefs - what did you learn to day Its cool to know nothing stupid clots.

PussyCat Girls - I hate this part. right here slow down my heart
One upon a Christmas song these songs brought us together

Leona Lewis- I’ll sing one last time for you then we really have to go

McFly- So go tell your lovers, your fathers your brothers I’m hurt but I’m fine We don’’t care. Should I keep chasing pavements even if it leads nowhere should I give up

Then another medley with Katy Perry I kissed a girl, Kings of Leon sex on fire, Pink so what, Oasis the shock of lightning, the X Factor Finalists Hero and Britney Spears womanizer.

Mama Mia Dancing Queen medley with members of London show cast raises the roof.

Cold Play Viva la Vida
And then Hallelujah with Alexandra Burke. Hallelujah. Hallelujah.

I missed My fair Lady which I took my birth and care mothers to see and Oklahoma which was never a film for me. Bean would have been enjoyed again but not a second showing of Harry potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is enough. Never been great fans of Wallace and Gromit but did watch a little of this amusing Caper.

It was soon time for Dr Who and one of the last Performances of David Tenant who has announced his departure after some one off specials. This was a trial run, perhaps, for David Morrissey as the second doctor but I suspect he will not be the one to take over. However it was this doctor who had a companion, to care for his rescued son after the loss of his mother to the Cybermen. The star of the show was Dervia Kirwan best known outside of Ireland for her role as Assumpta Fitzgerald who had a smouldering relationship with the priest. She was the baddie to day who took over control of the Cybermen until zapped by the Doctor. Bend it Like Beckham was being shown later on BBC 1 and Casanova on 2. I did watch a little of the Strictly Come Dancing and had considered watching Dancing on ice at Christmas on ITV but the priority was Christmas decoded. The excellent Memoirs of a Geisha was shown on channel 5 Others noted were the brilliant Africa Queen my second favourite Bogart film to Casablanca although perhaps his best performance. ET was on ITV 2 and King Lear on more four such were the contrasting offerings and the Jazz Singer was on TCM and the thought provoking Seventh Seal.

On Boxing Day afternoon there were the film Stalwarts The Railway Children, Mary Poppins and South Pacific while I was on my way to Sunderland for the Match I had set off later than planned and managed to get the penultimate free parking space behind the bus station and close to the Catholic Church although it meant mounting the curb on a corner. On my walk to the ground I passed Deano’s the dinkiest of pubs although not the smallest, now on Freehold sale. Before taking my seat the priority was coffee which at £1.60 is not bad given motorway prices.

My seat was excellent some four rows down behind the goal and close to the away supporters. Once upon a time there would be great match build up of singing from an hour to half an hour before the game but these days the stadium remains deserted until the about ten minutes and even as the whistle is blown for the start of the game the last 20 25% are taking their seats.

It was not a great game of skill and of the course of the first half Sunderland had three good opportunities but did not get close. During the second half the situation was reversed with Blackburn having the better chances and a 0.0. Was in truth a fait result and not unexpected. I enjoyed the occasion and there was time to remember times past. At half time I fancies another coffee but staying till the whistle I found the area a sold mass of people with only a couple of lines out of twenty to thirdly in which it was possible to slowly filter one ways along the stand, and with difficulty, I gave up the coffee and went to the gentleman’s. Where at least half a dozen men, some young, were ignoring the notice that smoking would result in immediate ejection from the ground and loss any season ticket. I assumed a similar situation was occurring around the ground. This was the first occasion at the ground that I was able to see the fluorescent changing advertising board which runs the whole length of the East stand. This can be distracting such are the vivid colours.

It is always strange to have a Saturday without football during Winter time and I was not in the mood for more films until I had digested the previous three days. Among the endless repeats were the Swiss Family Robinson, We Dive at dawn, Jane Austin‘s Emma. The Browning Version, A matter of Life and Death, Rear Window, Gone with the Wind, Ben Hur, Sweet Bird of Youth, Schindler’s List , Bat, and Ivanhoe all eminently watchable.

I played games with serious intent. The major disaster was Spider Solitaire, Before the holiday I had reach 93 successive games before finding an impossible to win game despite going back to the starters times and time again and trying every conceivable option. Having reached 60 odd wins again I pressed the wrong button my mistake ending the game inserted of going into undo. That I was tired is no excuse. The great hope of a second 101 run in a different game remain chess, albeit level one where I have reached 51 successive wins having previously reached 50.

I also did some sorting work and finish work although for once my heart was not in it. It was supposed to be holiday and fun time, Gotta have fun, hasn’t one!

No comments:

Post a Comment